How it Works
Conquer the Cold 2019!
The Conquer the Cold Challenge happens January 1, 2019- January 31, 2019. To be eligible to participate, you must work for a company in the Greater Ann Arbor Area. During the Challenge, log your commutes, earn badges, and win prizes. Starting December 3rd, 2018, you can register and practice logging commutes to be ready for the big challenge.
Sounds interesting, how do I take part?
With your Dashboard, you can log your alternative commutes, view your progress and compare your stats with others.
To participate in the Conquer the Cold Challenge:
- Participated in a past challenge? Log in and reset your password to participate in the challenge.
- New to this site? Register here to create your account and get ready to start logging commutes!
- Be sure to select the organization your work for when you login to be eligible for prizes.
- Logging trips will earn you badges as you reach certain milestones. (note: badges only awarded during January)
- As you acquire badges, you'll be eligible for prizes! (note: prizes only awarded during January)
OK I'm signed up...how do I get started?
Once the challenge starts and you're logged in, you'll see the challenge site is split into three different areas:
- Leader board
The Dashboard is your mission control for your challenge. From here you can see a summary of your current stats at the top of the screen and also keep an eye on what's going on across the challenge in the activity feed. You can log trips, check on your progress and compare your stats to other commuters.
The Leaderboard is the best place to check on the competition and see what you are up against. Here you can see who has the most points and the badges they have won.
Got something to share? Then the Social section is the perfect place to shout about it. It could be that you're proud of your commitment to sustainable travel, that you want to share the efforts of your workplace or that you have a funny commuting story to share in our blog. The Social section is the place to offer encouraging words to others or even start some competitive chat by adding a comment to someone else's blog post - play nicely please!
How do I log my frequent Trips?
If you have the same commute on most days, you can create a frequent trip in the “log trips” section. Try it and see!
Use the Strava app to track your active trips
Yes! For cyclists, walkers and runners you can use the Strava app to track and sync your commutes with the website. Here's how:
- Create a Strava account if you don't already have one. You can do this via their website or via the free app.
- Once you have the app on your phone, open it at the start of your commute
- Press 'Record Activity' and get on your way
- When you arrive at your place of work, stop the trip
- Before you save, make sure you press the COMMUTE tag button - we only count trips that have been tagged as a commute. You can also use this cool website to automatically 'tag' your active commutes (no need to remember to tag)
- Go to the Challenge dashboard, click 'Sync Apps' and connect your Strava account and your trips will automatically sync and get added to the leaderboard!
- Keep logging your trips and coming back to the site to sync and update the leaderboards
If you want to disconnect your Strava account at any time, you can do so.
Any commute data captured by a GPS device and shared with Strava will also sync with the website. Just make sure you connect your account with our website. We will not share any of your data with any third parties and you can disconnect at anytime.
What badges can I win? I love badges!
Earn the following badges as you participate in the Conquer the Cold Challenge:
- Cold Scout = Earn when you log your first trip. Receive a FREE drink coupon from Sweetwaters!
- Snowflake = Earn when you log 10 trips.
- Winter Dominator = Earn when you at least 20 trips. Receive a FREE Chicken Latte coupon from Zingermans Deli! (it's yummy & warm chicken broth)
- Abominable Snowman = Earn when you log 40 trips.
Note: You can also earn badges with points:
- 1 trip = 1 point
- 1 referral = 2 points
Note: Coupons emailed weekly via Mailchimp
Referrals earn you more points?
We want participants to tell their friends and co-workers about the challenge. We're giving away bonus points for each person you refer to the challenge. All you need to do is give your friends or co-workers the email address you used to sign up to the challenge, and they can enter it when they sign up. You'll then automatically get some bonus points! The more you refer, the more points you get.
Note: Before you get bonus points, the person you have referred needs to log at least one trip.
Event Schedule for the Challenge
Weekly Contests run from Monday-Sunday. Prizes randomly drawn and announced on Mondays.
Jan. 1st - Jan. 6th: Burn Off Your Holiday Feast
- Walk, bike, run, ski, snowshoe or find another way to burn those calories on your commute this week. If your logged commutes include any calories burned, you are in the running. We'll randomly pull winners from those who entered commutes with calories burned.
Prizes: $25 Arbor Brewing, $15 Blue Tractor, $15 Maiz Mexican Cantina, $10 LeDog and a bike tune up and light package.
- Winners selected and announced on Monday, January 7th
Jan. 7th - Jan. 13th: Winter Commuting Haiku #WinComHaiku
- Just post your WINter COMmuting Haiku on social media or email it to us (See Conquer the Cold photo and Haiku submission rules below). Be creative, fun and include pics to make it extra special. Be eligible to win fun gift cards. Include: #WinComHaiku & #OWNWINTER
Prizes: $25 M Den, $20 Sava's, $15 Cafe Ollie, $15 Roeda Studio and a bike tune up and light package.
- Winners selected and announced on Monday, January 14th
Jan. 14th - Jan. 20th: Find the Yeti Photo Contest - #OWNWINTER
- We love our #OWNWINTER mascot! All you need to do is find one of our cool posters around town, get a pic with our Yeti and tag the business where you found it. Find more posters, submit pics and win more prizes! Visit our sponsors to find your pic background. Include #OWNWINTER
Prizes: $25 Main Street Ventures, $25 Ann Arbor Running Company, $25 Sam's Store, $25 Satchell's BBQ, $15 Maiz Mexican Cantina and a bike tune up and light package.
- Winners selected and announced on Monday, January 21st
Jan. 21st - Jan. 31st: Winter Wonderland Photo Contest
- Snap a pic of your winter wonderland commute and tell us about it to be entered to win fun gift cards(see photo rules). Include: #OWNWINTER
- Log an alternative commute this week and be entered to win fun gift cards
Prizes: $25 Arbor Brewing Company, $20 Sava's, $15 Cafe Ollie, $10 Tea Haus, $10 Monahan's Seafood, $10 LeDog, Domino's Pizza and a bike tune up and light package.
* *Winners selected and announced on Friday, February 1st*
Jan. 31st: Last Day of the Challenge
- Finishing logging those commutes and earning badges.
Feb. 4th: Last Day to Log Commutes!
Tuesday, Feb. 5th
- BIG Prizes announced. All prizes are randomly drawn, so everyone who enters a commute has a chance!
- $250 Bivouac gift card
- $250 Bivouac gift card
- $50 Footprints gift card
- $50 REI gift card
- $50 Gas card
Conquer the Cold photo and Haiku submission rules
To be eligible for prize drawings, you need to be registered for the Conquer the Cold Challenge and do the following:
- Submit photos on our social media. Be sure to make your photos public, tag @getdowntown, include #OWNWINTER and #WinComHaiku (for Haiku challenge)
- Facebook - @getdowntown
- Twitter - @getdowntown
- Instagram - @getdowntown
- If you submit your photos on social media, you'll need to email us at email@example.com. Please include your name and the organization you are with.
- You can also email us your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll post it to social media for you. Be sure to include your name and the organization you are with.
I have questions
No problem - email us at email@example.com
Looking for commuting help and tips? Check out the getDowntown website
Terms and Conditions
Please click here to read the Terms and Conditions for this site.