How it Works
Conquer the Cold 2018!
The Conquer the Cold Challenge happens January 1, 2018-January 31, 2018. During Conquer the Cold, log your commutes, earn badges, and win prizes. During the month of December, you can register and practice logging commutes to be ready for the big challenge.
With Commute Central, you can log your alternative commutes, set goals, and compare your stats with others.
Sounds interesting, how do I take part?
With your Dashboard, you can log your alternative commutes, set goals, and compare your stats with others.
To participate in the Conquer the Cold:
- Participated in a past challenge? Log on and reset your password to participate in the challenge.
- New to this site? Register here to create your account and get ready to start logging commutes!
- Logging trips will earn you badges as you reach certain milestones. (note: badges only awarded during January)
- As you acquire badges, you'll be eligible for prizes! (note: prizes only awarded during January)
OK I'm signed up...how do I get started?
Once the challenge starts and you're logged in, you'll see the challenge site is split into three different areas:
- Leader board
The Dashboard is your mission control for your challenge. From here you can see a summary of your current stats at the top of the screen and also keep an eye on what's going on across the challenge in the activity feed. You can log trips, check on your progress and even set yourself a personal challenge to walk or cycle a set amount each day.
The Leaderboard is the best place to check on the competition and see what you are up against. Here you can see who’s got the most points and the badges they have won.
Got something to share? Then the Social section is the perfect place to shout about it. It could be that you're proud of your commitment to sustainable travel, that you want to share the efforts of your workplace or that you have a funny commuting story to share in our blog. The Social section is the place to offer encouraging words to others or even start some competitive chat by adding a comment to someone else's blog post - play nicely please!
(NEW) Can I use the Strava app to track my active trips?
Yes! For cyclists, walkers, runners you can use the Strava app to track and sync your commutes with the website. Here's how:
- Create a Strava account if you don't already have one. You can do this via their website or via the free app.
- Once you have the app on your phone, open it at the start of your commute
- Press 'Record Activity' and get on your way
- When you arrive at your place of work, stop the trip
- Before you save, make sure you press the COMMUTE tag button - we only count trips that have been tagged as a commute. You can also use this cool website to automatically 'tag' your active commutes (no need to remember to tag)
- Go to the Commuter Challenge dashboard, click 'Sync Apps' and connect your Strava account and your trips will automatically sync and get added to the leaderboard!
- Keep logging your trips and coming back to the site to sync and update the leaderboards
If you want to disconnect your Strava account at any time, you can do so.
Any commute data captured by a GPS device and shared with Strava will also sync with the website. Just make sure you connect your account with our website. We will not share any of your data with any third parties and you can disconnect at anytime.
(NEW) I'm going to ask other people to get involved...are there any rewards?
We want people to tell their friends and colleagues about the challenge. We're giving away bonus points for each person you refer to the challenge. All you need to do is give your friends or co-workers the email address you used to sign up to the challenge, and they can enter it when they sign up. You'll then automatically get some bonus points! The more you refer, the more points you get.
Note: Before you get bonus points, the person you have referred needs to log at least one trip.
How do I log my frequent Trips?
If you have the same commute on most days, you can create a frequent trip in the “log trips” section. Try it and see!
What badges can I win? I love badges!
Earn the following badges as you participate in the Commuter Challenge:
- Cold Scout = Earn when you log your first trip. Receive a FREE drink coupon from Sweetwaters!
- Snowflake = Earn when you log at least 10 trips.
- Winter Dominator = earn when you log at least 20 trips. Receive a FREE Chicken Latte coupon from Zingermans Deli! (Not a real latte, just a funny way to say chicken broth)
- Abominable Snowman = Earn when you log at least 40 trips.
Note: You can also earn badges with points:
- 1 trip = 1 point
- 1 referral = 2 points
Event Schedule for the Challenge
Weekly Challenges run from Monday - Sunday. Prizes randomly drawn and announced on Monday
Week 1: Jan 1 - Jan 7 - prize announced Jan 8
- Burn Off Your Holiday Feast (walk, bike, ski or snowshoe to log the most calories burned)
Week 2: Jan 8 - Jan 14 - prize announced Jan 15
- Winter commuting Haiku (an unrhymed verse having 3 lines containing 5, 7, and 5 syllables respectively. Include a pic to make it more fun)
Week 3: Jan 15 - Jan 21 - prize announced Jan 22
- Find the Yeti! We love our #OWNWINTER mascot! All you need to do is find one of our cool posters around town and get a pic with our Yeti. Visit our sponsors to find your pic background.
Week 4: Jan 22 - Jan 31 - prize announced Feb 2 (last week, so it's longer)
- Winter wonderland picture of your commute
Grand prize announced - Feb. 6th
Gift cards and services to local businesses include: Blue Tractor, LeDog, Monahans Seafood, REI, Great Lakes Cycling, The Local Bike Shop, Tree Fort Bikes, Wheels in Motion, Downtown Home & Garden
Grand Prize - Bivouac - $500 gift card, 2nd Prize - $50 Footprints gift card, $25 REI gift card
Commuter Challenge photo and Haiku submission rules
To be eligible for prize drawings, you need to be registered for the Commuter Challenge and do the following:
- Submit photos on our social media. Be sure to make your photos public, tag @getdowntown, include #OWNWINTER and #CONQUERTHECOLD
- Facebook - @getdowntown
- Twitter - @getdowntown
- Instagram - @getdowntown
- If you submit your photos on social media, you'll need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the organization you are with.
- You can also email us your photos to email@example.com and we'll post it to social media for you. Be sure to include your name and the organization you are with.
I have questions
No problem - email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for commuting help and tips? Check out the getDowntown website
Terms and Conditions
Please click here to read the Terms and Conditions for this site.